Register  |  

Post 25  Newport, New Hampshire

MORE INFO

ABOUT THIS POST

CHARTER DATE: September 11, 1919

POST NAMESAKE: Claude J. Brewster

FIRST COMMANDER: Harold P. Shepard

NOTABLE MEMBERS: Maurice Downing Louis Willett Harold Aiken Peter Anastos Oliver Zullo Peter Lovely Anthony Kulesza Samuel Edes Ralph Stockwell Charlie Jobes.. Read more »

WHAT MAKES OUR POST UNIQUE: This Post is the successor owner of an 1847 pre-Civil War cannon still in use for patriotic holidays.

Jump to a decade in the timeline:

1919  1920  1930  

1910
The Claude J. Brewster Post No. 25 was formed on July 17, 1919 and officially named on September 18, 1919. The Post was named after Private Claude J. Brewster, the first Newport man to die in France. He enlisted in Company M, 1st NH Infantry in 1914, and served in Mexico during the US conflict with Francisco “Pancho” Villa. In 1917 Newport’s Company M was mobilized and transferred to Company M, 103rd Infantry, 26th Division.. Full story »
In the words of first Post Commander Harold Shepard: At the time the Post was organized we were all pretty young, none had too much experience in such affairs, not much money to do with, and most had just gotten out of the service and had not gotten their feet really planted back in civilian life. While as we look back we can see many things we could of done and some things we should.. Full story »
Armistice Day celebrations were organized by Newport’s Welcome Home Committee. Captain Olin H. Chase [Spanish War veteran] was Chief Marshal of the parade, with Tyler L. Barker [of the old militia] and Dr. Peter Ladieu from Norwich University as assistant marshals. Nelson’s Cadet Band led he parade, followed by one hundred and fourteen servicemen, followed in turn by two automobiles with the nearest relatives of men who lost their lives in the World War. Members.. Full story »
1920
Newport’s American Legion Fife, Drum and Bugle Corps had their first practice in October of 1927. They officially adopted bylaws and elected officers in March of 1928. The first officers were Captain Earl Stevens, Lieutenant (fife section), Nat Daimont, Lieutenant (trumpet section), Harold G. Fairbanks, President Frank P. Hutchinson, Secretary and Treasurer M. J. Downing, and Directors Clinton Corliss, Charles F. Aiken, and Cleon L. Johnson. Delford R. Graves was the instructor. Enthusiasm was so.. Full story »
The minstrel show was the first form of musical theater originating in America. Beginning in the 1830’s and based on an imitation of black music and dance, these shows reached the height of popularity in the 1860’s. Despite their often negative parody of African American life, they continued to be popularly produced into the 1950’s. From the early 1900’s the minstrel show was a popular form of entertainment in Newport, and were offered by several.. Full story »
The Honor Roll, south of the Town Hall along Main Street, was erected by the Newport Board of Trade about two months before the Armistice was signed. According to John McCrillis, chairman of the Memorial Committee, the Roll of Honor was never intended to be a permanent monument, but was designed to encourage those men who were still expected to enlist. At one time townspeople objected to this site, suggesting the Common as a better.. Full story »
On the way to the American Legion Convention in Louisville, Kentucky the Drum and Bugle Corps met with President Hoover at the White House. Kneeling from left: James Wright, Earl Stevens, Ted Corliss, Albert Heneault, Harry “Doc” Brown, Wilfred Snow, Richard Donovan, John Brooks, Harold Bagley, Charles Aiken, Sam Edes, George Conroy. Standing behind them, from left: William Brown, Maurice Downing, Dewey Hastings, Amos Shepard, Mr. Nichols, Benjamin Burr, Costos Economu, Dell Graves (not in.. Full story »
Roster of the Claude J. Brewster Post Fife, Drum and Bugle Corps attending the National Convention in Louisville, Kentucky Drum Major: Milo H. Brill Instructor: Delbert R. Graves Drum Section: Maurice J. Downing, Robert F. Wilkins, James Wright, Harold J. Wiggins, Leonard F. Dudley, Earl K. Stevens, Leland L. Riley, Frank P. Hutchinson, Fred Brown, Clinton Corliss, Edward L. Kelton, Albert Henault. Fife Section: Robert A. Shedd, Jesse Bagley, Harold Bagley, Amos Shepard, Richard P... Full story »
1930
The Claude J. Brewster Post No. 25 and the Newport Drum Corps created the Milo H. Brill Trophy in memory of their fallen comrade. It would be awarded to the best drum corps appearing at the annual State Legion convention. The trophy is twenty inches tall and constructed of granite and bronze with an ebony base. A bronze shako [a tall cylindrical military cap] and baton topped the trophy. This trophy is presently housed in.. Full story »
Milo H. Brill was the third commander of Post No. 25 and leader of the Drum and Bugle Corps. Full story »
For the second year in a row the forty members of the Claude J. Brewster Post No. 25 Drum Corps were the official New Hampshire Drum Corps at the National Convention, this year in Boston. To help cover travel expenses, two days before their departure the Newport Board of Trade sponsored a reception, inspection of the Corps, and benefit dance at the Town Hall. Following their arrival in Boston, they were selected to escort General.. Full story »
The American Legion Junior League Baseball Team won the New Hampshire District 6 Championship in July, having won all the games they played.1 They lost to Manchester at the State Championship in September. Shown here are, in back Nat Daimont (manager), Mac Rowell, Don Follansbee, Ken Woodward, Vic Charles, Frenchy Roy, Bob Gould, William “Pop” Hughes (Coach). Front: Hooker Trow, Chris Hasevlat, Ros Fenno, Lloyd “Ozzie” Osborne, Bob Graves, Frank Winter, Phil Powell, Dick Brown. Full story »
Gov. John G. Winant was among the thousands of people who attended the Legion’s September 7, 1931 Labor Day celebration. Ten thousand people flooded the streets of Newport, many arriving on a special excursion train from Boston. The biggest event was a ten mile marathon from Claremont to Newport, featuring thirty-two runners, and won by Boston Marathon winner Jimmy Henigan of Medford, MA. Andre Champollion’s widow presented the Champollion Memorial Trophy to the wining marathon.. Full story »
Rear Admiral Reginald Rowan Belknap was the featured speaker of the 1932 Memorial Day celebration in Newport. The son of Rear Admiral George Eugene Belknap, he was born in Newport in 1832. His distinguished Naval career began in 1894, he served in World War I, and retired in 1927. At one time he made two cruises on the Constellation (built in 1797) which was the sister ship of the Constitution (“Old Ironsides.”) Admiral Belknap urged.. Full story »
The Legion sponsored a weekend performance of the New England Air Circus Association, which opened the season at Parlin Field. An aerial parade began the festivities, with seven airplanes flying in formation over Newport and Sunapee. Aerial bombing by local pilot Percy Osborne and balloon bursting were followed by the thrill of the day: Ensign Larry Ruch of the U. S. Naval reserve did twenty-one tail spins from an altitude of 6000 feet, breaking his own record. He also did Immelmann turns, snap barrel rolls, half loops and half rolls, slow rolls, hammerhead and whip stalls, and upside down flying... Full story »
The Sons of the Legion organized in June of 1936. The first officers elected were Captain Arthur Breault, Jr., 1st Lieutenant Paul Douglass, 2nd Lieutenant James Brady, Adjutant Frederick Aiken, Treasurer David Chase, Sergeant-at-Arms Sevarin Rodeschin, Chaplain Francis Edes, and Historian Curtis Chase. The Executive Committee was comprised of Andrew Hastings, Wallace Brady and Donald Bagley. Ninety Legion members and prominent Newport citizens attended a banquet to benefit Newport’s Sons of the Legion squadron. Proceeds.. Full story »
Plans to host the 1936 New Hampshire American Legion Convention began immediately after the September 1935 vote for Newport as the convention site. The Post was required to show Legion organizers that Newport had the facilities to host the large number of people expected to attend. In December 1936 the Brewster Post created the American Legion Convention Corporation. The officers were President Samuel Edes, Vice Presidents Harold P. Shepard and Harold G. Fairbanks, Treasurer Curtis.. Full story »
255
300
-1051120800
-1051120800