Post 348 DeForest , Wisconsin

Post 348

DeForest , Wisconsin

Post 348 DeForest , Wisconsin

About This Post

Post Namesake

Olson-Grinde Post 348 was originally chartered  on August 12 1921 as Edward Olson Post 348.  On May 8, 1948 it was chartered as Olson-Grinde Post 348, in time for the re-burial of T/Sgt John Henry Grinde from overseas in 1949, a WWII casulty and first DeForest resident killed in WWII.  We have 97 paid members and a core of very active members that participate in patriotic and community activities throughout the year.We conduct ceremonies to honor the Four Chaplains who perished on February 3, 1943, transferring departed members to the Post Everlasting in May, disposal of unservicable U.S. flags.  We participate in community celebrations honoring veterans at Memorial Dan and Veterans Day, and place gravesite flags on veterans' graves in six area cemeteries.  Our Honor Guard assist the State Military Funeral Honors program with approximately 13 military funerals annually by providing a firing detail.  We provide scholarships to Badger Boys State delegates, a senior scholarship, and conduct oratorical contests at the Middle and High School levels.  We meet every third Tuesday at the DeForest Area Community & Senior Center at 7 PM.




Application for Post of The American Legion filedOn

Aug 12, 1921

On August 12, 1921, fifteen World War veterans from the DeForest and Morrisonville Wisconsin area filed an application for a post in DeForest Wisconsin to be knows as the Edward Olson Post 348, after DeForest's first casulty during the war.  The fifteen names listed in order that they appear on the application are: Everett C. Gerry, Alfred S. Nordness, Joseph I. Bosben, Lester H. Nicolls, Adolph J. Tenjum, Christian A. Slindee, Nels Peterson, James Tompson,..

Full Story


Post Application for Permanent Charter

Apr 7, 1948

On April 7, 1948, the Edward Olson Post 348 filed an application for a charter in the name of Olson-Grinde Post 348 in DeForest, Wisconsin.  The following post officers were listed on the application: Wayne G. Russell - Commander, Anders Roisem - Vice Commander, Carl J. Nordahl - Adjutant, Alfred P. Wenger - Finance Officer, Alfred L. F. Anderson - Chaplain, Willard Moran - Sergeant-at-Arms, Earl A. Larson - Historian, and John M. Grinde -..

Full Story


Application for Squadron Charter

Feb 1968

In February 1968, seventeen men received approval of the Olson-Grinde Post 348, DeForest Wisconsin to apply for a Sons of tThe American Legion Squadron Charter.  Post Commander John E. Brickwell signed the application.  It was received at Department of Wisconsin Headquarters on February 14, 1968.  Department Commander Martin T. Jansen endorsed it on March 1, 1968.  National Adjutant William F. Hauck endorsed it back to the Department of Wisconsin on March 6, 1968.

Full Story