The American Legion, H. U. Wood Post 245 was organized on July 14, 1920 at a meeting called in the law office of F. B. Vaughan. A temporary organization of the post was formed at this meeting. It was decided to name the post after Horace Urban Wood, who was one of the Seguin men who gave their lives in the services of their Country. A temporary organization for the purpose of securing a charter was formed with the following officers: John Vivroux, Commander; Ben Williams, Vice Commander; H. K. Chamberlien, Adjutant; Charles Bruns, Finance Officer; and Charles Bauer, Historian.
After securing the temporary charter on July 27, 1920, A.H. Neighbors was elected as the first Commander of the post. The post was officially called H. U. Wood Post No. 245. E. E. Tips finished the term as commander after the resignation of A. H. Neighbors.