Register  |  

Post 245  Seguin, Texas

MORE INFO

ABOUT THIS POST

CHARTER DATE: July 27, 1920

POST NAMESAKE: Horace Urban Wood

FIRST COMMANDER: A.H. 'Doc' Neighbors

Jump to a decade in the timeline:

1920  1930  1940  2010  

1920
The American Legion, H. U. Wood Post 245 was organized on July 14, 1920 at a meeting called in the law office of F. B. Vaughan. A temporary organization of the post was formed at this meeting. It was decided to name the post after Horace Urban Wood, who was one of the Seguin men who gave their lives in the services of their Country. A temporary organization for the purpose of securing a charter was formed with the following officers: John Vivroux, Commander; Ben Williams, Vice Commander; H. K. Chamberlien, Adjutant; Charles Bruns, Finance Officer; and Charles Bauer, Historian... Full story »
H.U. Wood Post 245, Seguin, Texas was named in honor of Army Private Horace Urban Wood, a highly patriotic young man, who was killed in action in France. Horace Urban 'Urb' Wood was born in Round Rock, Texas on December 4, 1894. His family moved to Cuero, Texas where his father published the Cuero Record. The Wood family moved to Seguin, Texas in 1904, where his father Horace Greely Wood purchased the Guadalupe Gazette newspaper... Full story »
The Post was responsible for quite a few major accomplishments during its first few years of existence. The Post was instigator of what was known then, as Seguin's White Way. The was the financing and installing of lamp posts around the Court House and Central Park. Legionnaires also fastened bronze memorial plates on the lamp posts honoring the fallen hero's of the country. The Post helped in securing playground equipment for the playground near the old Post Office. The Post was also responsible with the cooperation of the Chamber of Commerce for decorating the streets for the holidays. Every Veteran.. Full story »
The American Legion Auxiliary was organized in 1925. The American Legion, H.U. Wood Unit 245 received their charter on August 29, 1925. Full story »
No meetings had been held for about a year, but in 1928, the Post was put back on its feet. The Post Headquarters was moved from the downtown hall to the Seguin Country Club. For the next few years the Post maintained its membership and took part in community projects. Full story »
1930
The permanent charter for H.U. Wood Post 245 was issued on September 10, 1930. In 1936, the Post bought the Seguin Bowling Club for its Legion Home. The Post continued to add its part to community projects. Full story »
The membership of the H.U. Wood Post 245 organized the Sons of The American Legion Squadron. The permanent charter for H.U. Wood Squadron 245 was issued on June, 8, 1935. Full story »
1940
In 1949, the Post added another building which contains bowling lanes. The Post operated the bowling alley for years and still used old hall meetings and dances. The membership remained constant. For a number of years, the Post had organized one of the best American Legion Bands in the State. This band under the management of C. Meyer and the direction of Max Richter, played concerts in the city and for children's homes and hospitals. The Post sponsored Legion Baseball, Boys State, military funerals, presentation of flags, raising of colors, decoration of graves and may other projects. During this time,.. Full story »
2010
An organizational meeting was held at The American Legion Post 245 on May 14, 2013. A proposed set of By-Laws was adopted by the attending members. The American Legion Riders Chapter 245 was chartered by the American Legion Post on June 3, 2013. Full story »
1329
10984
1368504000
1368504000
2010