In the latter part of the year of 1922, a group of ex-servicemen from the western part of the City of Duluth gathered at an informal meeting to plan the organization of the American Legion Post #71. Meetings were held, plans made and in January of 1923 the first officers were installed by the State Commander with 20 members in attendance. These officers were:
Commander – S.M. Strain
First Vice Commander – Gustav Sohilbred
Second Vice Commander – Ed Blechel
Adjutant – Clarence Olafson
Finance Officer – Al W. Mills
In less than two months the membership grew to 82 at which time application was made for a Charter. In June of 1923 the Charter was received from National Headquarters with the Charter Members names inscribed upon it.