Under Temporary Charter Frank E. Vincent was elected the first Commander and Chester H. Hamilton was First Adjutant. In August 1919 a group of local WWI Veterans held their first meeting in the Board of Commerce rooms in Milford for the purpose of organize a American Legion Post.
Required number of members were obtained, application was made for a temporary Charter was granted by Department of Michigan in the name of Ernest F. Oldenburg Post 216, Milford.
Oldenburg was a local Soldier in the 32nd Red Arrow Division who was kill in action in France. Qualification considered worthy of naming the post in his memory.
Chester W. Arms, Harold D.Cole, Everett B. Strange, Theron R. Arms, Merle Dustin, Edward B. Thornhill, Harold W.Avery, Perry F. Ellis, Gary N. Watson, D.C. Black, Chester H. Hamilton, Frank E. Vincent, Edwin C. Boyle, Albert W. Johnson, Mildred M. Boyle, Vincent E. Boyle,Roy S. Pittenger.
For the balance of the first year the organization meetings was held in the Board of Commerce rooms and the first year was spent in interesting World War veterans in the newly formed post.
Copied from From Post Historian book 1940-43