On September 21, 1919, 15 Veterans of World War 1 submitted an application to form an American legion Post in Hamburg, NY. A temporary charter was awarded to them and they held their first meeting in the local businessmen's club on Nov. 8th, 1919. On August 10th, 1920 a permanent charter was awarded. In 1924, a site for a new Post building was chosen and bought. A building was purchased from a local churc and was moved to the new site. On Dec.19, 1924, the first meeting of Post 527 in their new building was held.
An Auxiliary Chapter was established in 1926 and the Sons of the Legion Squadron was formed in 1934.
In 1950, the Post newsletter - The reveille - was founded by post member Alfred Tallman. It has received many awards, including Best Newsletter of All American Legion Postsin the Country in
In 1964, the Post built the Legion Bowling Lanes adjacent to the post building where it still operates today.
The Post has hosted numerous District, Department and State conventions, and has had 5 members elected County Commander, 1 member elected District Commander and 1 member voted County Legionairre of the Year.