Memorial Day, May 30, 1919 saw a good turnout of World War 1 Veterans taking their place alongside of members of the Grand Army of the Republic and Spanish War Veterans in paying tribute to deceased veterans of all wars. When the Memorial Day parade and exercises came to an end, many of the foot weary marchers trudged off to their homes to spend a quiet afternoon. However, some twenty-five veterans of the war which had ended just six months before, continued to the National Guard Armory on Canal Street, where the Nashua James E. Coffey Post No. 3 came into being.

This was no spur-of-the-moment action, as local veterans had been discussing such action for several months. Colonel William E. Sullivan of Nashua had returned from St. Louis earlier in the month after attending the second caucus of the new American Legion. He and Attorney George M. French, John P. Nash, David P. Stevens, Leo Sirois and others, talked about the possibility of a Nashua organization of veterans and had decided to a meeting after the parade on the holiday.

Colonel William E. Sullivan presided at the gathering of Veterans and outlined the program of the American Legion. Also addressing the group were Attorney George M. French, John P. Nash, David P. Stevens, and others. The group lost no time, and one of the first votes was to apply for a charter. Temporary officers elected were: Commander, Colonel Sullivan; Vice Commander, Charles Cote; recording secretary, Harry D. Emerson; and finance officer, David P. Stevens.

An application for a charter was presented, and those who signed included; William E. Sullivan, Dr. Albert E. Brownrigg, Daniel Maguire, Albert Cote, Harry D. Emerson, Ernest S. Woods, Charles Cote, Harry Parker, Horace D. Gibson, Ray S. Nute, Joseph A. Cardin, David P. Stevens, Everett M. Howe, John P. Nash, David J. Carmody, and Albert C. Poulin.

The charter was granted by national without delay on June 15, 1919 and the James E. Coffey Post became the third Legion Post organized in the State of N.H.. Following granting of the charter, an organization meeting was called and all the temporary officers were officially elected as the first regular officers of the Coffey Post.

Following a lengthy investigation, and much research, it was reported that James E. Coffey was the first Nashua resident to die in World War 1, although several other Nashua boys died later that same day. The members then named the local veteran's organization, the:

"James E. Coffey Post No. 3"
Nashua, New Hampshire

The Post 3 temporary charter document (pictured above) was signed by the NH Dept. commander on 1 July 1919. Permission was secured from Nashua City officials to use the Assembly room at City Hall for meetings.

For the first few years of its existence, the Post held its meetings at the Armory, the old City Hall building, and the Y.M.C.A, when it was at the corner of Temple and Spring Streets. In 1922 the Post secured its first permanent quarters on the top floor of the Sargent building, the former site of the Telegraph building at the Main St. Bridge. here was the scene of many interesting parties and meetings. The rooms overlooked the Nashua river to the north, and included a large reading and social room on the Main Street side, a hall that doubled for a dining room, and a small kitchen along the river side of the building. The Post's permanent charter document was signed by national and NH Dept. on 2 Feb. 1922 and installed at the new quarters. The Sargent building was sold to the Nashua Telegraph as a site for their new building, so the Legion was forced to move after six years that proved to be very successful and profitable for the friendships made.

New quarters were taken in the old Spears block (97 Main St.) where the Post had two large rooms. Growth of the Post, and increased activities made it advisable to secure larger quarters. The third floor over Brockleman's market (157 Main St.) was vacant, and arrangements were made to lease these rooms, which included a large hall, social rooms, and a kitchen,

Coffey Post remained in the Brockleman block until 1940 when the City of Nashua officially turned over the old Police Station Building at 11 Court St. The current City Hall was built at this time, and the new Police Station was located in the back of City Hall.

View more history for Post 3 in Nashua, New Hampshire