Over the last century, Owatonna’s Legion post has made its home in several different locations around town.
Post 77 first met at the Armory on May 4, 1919. During its early days, the Legion used the Owatonna Commercial Club at 113 North Cedar and the Security State Bank on North Cedar and West Broadway.
In early 1920, Post 77 secured the permission of the City Council to meet at the Firemen’s Hall on Main Street. This was the post’s home until the autumn of 1921 when the Legion returned to the Armory. They met there for over a decade, using the basement and the third floor.
A club room above Gray’s Style Shop on 125 West Broadway served as Legion headquarters from 1937 to 1941. The post then moved down the street to the second floor of 137 West Broadway. In 1960, Post 77 purchased the entire building and has been there ever since.