["Legionnaires and Auxiliary at Their Best." Anoka Herald 19 Jun. 1939: Print.]
Officials of the Tenth District, American Legion, had planned to hold their annual convention in the drill hall of the Anoka Armory. The Armory being deemed to large, the City Hall was rented. The Armory was demolished, the move probably saved lives and certainly injuries. The City Hall was not touched. The Legionnaires immediately formed rescue squads to aid the injured. The Auxiliary, meeting in the high school auditorium, which escaped with minor damage, turned the place into an emergency hospital. Banquet food was served to the emergency workers, by members of the Eastern Star.
The 5th District American Legion Drum Corps of Minneapolis arrived in Champlin just as the storm struck. The 30 unformed members undertook police duties until the National Guard arrived.