The "War to End All Wars" had been over for eleven months in October 1919, when the Edward B. Cutter Post 102 of The American Legion became a permanent organization. On the twenty-second of that month, at a meeting at the armory, an executive committee of eleven was chosen, with Lloyd McCann as president.
Members that day helped fill out over one hundred bonus applications. The nation was in recovery mode, the "Roaring Twenties" just around the corner. All was not well with the returning veterans, however. Promises had been made and now reluctance by the government to follow through was causing concern. The American Legion was leading the charge for justice, with advocates in Washington and letter writing members nationwide, including Anoka County veterans.
Alert to the workings in Washington, Cutter Legionnaires returned to the pursuits which had been denied them during the war. Challenging the high school basketball team and sponsoring dances at the Armory, were examples of freedoms regained. With the summer of 1920, one in a series of picnics was sponsored, rejoining with the community and comrades.
Recruiting nationwide was an issue, locally the Post members were up to the challenge. It may be said that the Post early on adopted the four pillars of The American Legion. Helping all veterans, not just Legionnaires, fill out forms for various benefits began soon after the war ended, getting the word out on benefits and how to apply were examples. There were workshops held with aid from knowledgeable individuals.