Post 238 Shrewsbury, MA., 01545, Massachusetts

Post 238

Shrewsbury, MA., 01545, Massachusetts

Post 238 Shrewsbury, MA., 01545, Massachusetts

About This Post

Post Namesake

Sgt/1c Raymond Stone was born November 24th, 1889 in Shrewsbury, MA, son of Henry J and Mary J (Cummings) Stone: brother of Edna M., Warren H., Myron J. of Shrews., Cora E. of Westboro, Hattie M., and Ida C. A ... READ MORE

Notable Members

Commander, Frederick W. Smith; Vice Cmdr, Albert J. Daniels; Adjutant, Bernard Knowlton; Finance Officer, Harlow A. Shepard; Historian, Robert E. Marston; Chaplain, Rev. Smith; Sgt/Arms, Henry O. Eaton. The first meeting was held on this date in the lower floor ... READ MORE

What Makes this Post Unique

The Post's Temporary Charter was granted on November 20th, 1919. This date was so important to the Town of Shrewsbury that it was included in the 1919 Annual Town Report, page 27, with the names of the Officers of the ... READ MORE

HISTORY

1910

Grand Army of the Republic Charter, 1873

Dec 30, 1910

The Grand Army of the Republic was an organization similar to the American Legion, but was comprised of veterans of the Union Army following the American Civil War. This charter, dated December 30th, 1873, likely granted the GAR usage of the hall now occupied by the Legion. The displayed date is incorrect because the website doesn't allow the input of any year prior to 1910.


Full Story
Grand Army of the Republic Charter, 1873
1919 Town Report

1919 Town Report

Jan 15, 1919

The decision to establish an American Legion Post in the town in honor of Sgt./1c Raymond Stone was included in this town report from 1919, featuring the names of all the founding members.


Full Story

Original Petitioners for Charter

Oct 1919

There were 50 Shrewsbury Veterans who signed the petition for Legion Membership, listed by first name, middle initial and last name. Positive Date unknown. 


Full Story
Original Petitioners for Charter
History 1919-1927

History 1919-1927

Nov 20, 1919

The first meeting of the American Legion Ray Stone Post #238 was held in the lower Town Hall in November 1919. After a while the meetings moved to the hall over the old Town Fire Barn, but the Legion found it inadequate, and moved back to the lower Town Hall. Our first outing was in the summer of 1926, when we camped out at Mount Monadnock in East Jaffrey, NH. There we had big ball..

Full Story

Ray Stone American Legion Post 238 Charter

Nov 20, 1919

On November 20th, 1919, the Post received their temporary charter, allowing them to function as an organization under the American Legion.


Full Story
Ray Stone American Legion Post 238 Charter
History 1919-1924

History 1919-1924

Dec 31, 1919

On the New Years eve of 1919-1920, a Military Ball was held with all members wearing our service uniforms. Many people turned out, as the town was very loyal to her servicemen. We changed our Military Ball to Minstrel Shows that ran from 1920 to the 1930s


Full Story

1920

Original Charter Roll of the Auxiliary Unit of Post 238

Jan 10, 1923

There were 31 original signers of the petition for the Auxiliary Unit of Ray Stone Post 238, Department of Massachusetts. They are listed by first name, middle initial, and last name.


Full Story
Original Charter Roll of the Auxiliary Unit of Post 238
American Legion Post 238 Auxiliary Charter

American Legion Post 238 Auxiliary Charter

Mar 15, 1923

On March 15th, 1923, the Auxiliary received their charter, allowing them to function as an organization under the American Legion.


Full Story

Grange Masters 1876-1926

Sep 1923

The Grange was a farmers association founded in 1867 that sponsored local events, community service, and political lobbying for farmers rights. This picture displays the 27 Shrewsbury Grange Masters from 1876 to 1926, who presumably met at the hall now occupied by the Legion. Listed L-R, 1st row: Chas. A. Holman, Henry S. Ball, Oliver B. Wyman, Edward C. Howe, Frederick Bartlett, George L. Davis. 2nd Row: Edward A. Bartlett, WM E. Rice, Hiram W...

Full Story
Grange Masters 1876-1926
Memorial Day Programme

Memorial Day Programme

May 30, 1924

May 30th, 1924 marked the 56th Anniversary of the founding of Memorial Day by the Grand Army of the Republic. The program lists the various participants and their duties during the day. The parade started on Boylston Street and proceeded to the northeast entrance to the cemetery. The Civil War Veterans' lot of the Unknown Dead is just inside and to the southeast of the main gate of the Cemetery, where the Women's Relief Corps..

Full Story

Certificate for the Formation of the Post from the Commonwealth of MA

Sep 3, 1926

This certificate was granted to the Post on September 3rd, 1926 from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, effectively legalizing the formation of the American Legion Ray Stone Post #238.  


Full Story
Certificate for the Formation of the Post from the Commonwealth of MA
History 1919-1934

History 1919-1934

Jan 20, 1928

1928 The Town was having numerous automobile accidents, and people were taken to the hospital in private cars by volunteers. The Post realized what a handicap it was for the Police Department, so we organized an Ambulance Drive. Our members went door to door for contributions, and with the proceeds, bought the first ambulance for the town of Shrewsbury. The State Conventions had become very popular and the Post always had a large delegation and..

Full Story

1930

Legion Home, #2-School

Aug 31, 1934

The Board of Selectmen at a Special Town Meeting held on August 31, 1934 were authorized to negotiate a lease of the Land and building known as the No. 2 school-house property to the Ray Stone Post No. 238 of the American Legion. Now therefor, We P.H. Prouty, V.W. Heath and W.E. Brigham, Selectmen of Shrewsbury, do by virtue and by the foregoing vote, make and enter this indenture on the twenty fourth day of..

Full Story
Legion Home, #2-School
Legion Hall Photos from 1934 and 1950

Legion Hall Photos from 1934 and 1950

Nov 11, 1934

Pictured below are two images of the Shrewsbury Legion Hall at the corner of Main St. and School St. The first was taken in 1934 and the second in 1950, which included the Legion Hall addition. Prior to being the host for the American Legion, this building was known as Shrewsbury School #2.


Full Story

Dedication Exercises of Post 238 Quarters

Nov 11, 1934

We assembled at Town Hall at 2:00 PM. We then formed and Paraded to our new quarters (old #2 School), led by the Canterbury Street School Drum Corps and others.


Full Story
Dedication Exercises of Post 238 Quarters
Citation of Honor

Citation of Honor

Jan 1935

1935 Massachusetts American Legion Headquarters Citation of Honor granted to Post 238 under Commander Theodore F. Demers.


Full Story

Memorial Day 1935

May 31, 1935

Pictured below is a group of legionnaires observing Memorial Day on May 31st, 1935 in the center of town. There would usually be speakers to the right of the group pictured.


Full Story
Memorial Day 1935
The Sons of the American Legion Charter

The Sons of the American Legion Charter

Oct 25, 1935

The Sons of the American Legion is a service based program of the American Legion consisting of male descendants of servicemen who were members of the Legion. This Charter for the Shrewsbury chapter of the SAL was granted on October 25th, 1935, just 2 years after the program was founded. 


Full Story

"America" Article and Poem

Jan 1937

pictured is a short article cut out of a paper and saved by a legionnaire’s daughter in 1937 about the history of the song, “America" (My Country 'Tis of Thee). The tune is believed to have been composed by Henry Carey in 1740, with the words written by Rev. Samuel F. Smith of Boston in 1832.


Full Story
Memorial Day 1939

Memorial Day 1939

May 31, 1939

Memorial Day services at Legion Lot, May 31st, 1939 (Colorized).


Full Story