The year 1930 continued in the same manner as 1929. The new spirit communicated to the Post by Commander Witt the previous year prevailed. From this time forward certain definite activities that had become customary were taken care of in a routine manner leaving the commander time to devote to emergencies as they should arise. A substantial amount was left in the treasury and there was some let down in the careful expenditure of funds. The minutes records presents to this or that cause but the sums are more carefully considered and a committee was usually appointed to investigate.

Another new departure that was to be of immeasurable value was a more careful accounting of funds and a more careful auditing of the books.Up to this time the Post had regarded everything as all right as long as there was money in the treasury and motions had appropriated certain sums for various things. New motions were worded "NOT TO EXCEED". Post finance officers had protested unavailingly in the past about the careless manner in which the books had been kept. It was left to the retiring finance officer, Colby, to make his point repeatedly and forcibly so that conditions were changed and through out 1930 and succeeding years his influence can be seen in the careful reports that became routine. This made the finance officer's task easier and at the same time developed more care on the part of the members.

Another improvement noted in the Post records is the fact that the minutes of the meetings are complete and in order. A certain amount of error is noted in the spelling of names but that is probably due to the fact that the members when attending meetings register their signatures rather than their names and it is to the credit of the adjutant that he was able to decipher the hieroglyphics as well as he did.At least 1930 presents the first orderly and complete set of minutes.

Fourth of July, Armistice Day and Memorial Day were observed in the same manner as before. The plan of holding the carnival in town was adhered to but the general decline in business cut down receipts. Added to this there was an increased overhead and so the profits were considerably lower.

Two events of the year brought a distinct sense of loss to the Post. Early in the year Mr. Nash, father died. Ever since the inauguration of the Post in 1919 one of it's staunchest friends had been Mr. Nash. Many a time he had offered suggestions to Post officers in a pleasant and informal way. When aid was needed from outside in some activity there was always one man who had done more than his share inconspicuously and first of all. His loss was felt by the Post and as time went on his staunch support in the troubled times of the Post was remembered more and more.

Shortly after the Fourth of July, Past Commander Hannon died suddenly at the Speedway Hospital. The men all hastened to do what they could to show their appreciation of his work of a couple years earlier. The funeral was held in St. Charles and it speaks well for the cooperation of the Posts of the Legion that the various county posts cooperated in such a way that services were held in Downers Grove and St. Charles and a long procession proceeded from one town to the other without delay or a hitch. This loss had a distinct effect on the membership. They realized that they were no longer the youngsters that they had been and no one knew whose turn would be next.

A new innovation this year was the sponsoring of the Junior Baseball Club under the direction of R. Whittaker. The team made a good showing in the county competitions and served to stimulate interest in youth baseball among the boys of the community.

The year closed with Fred Dundas elected Commander. Due to increased expenditures and decreased receipts the Post finances were at a low level with the coming year promising to be a hard one. The Depression was upon us and calls for service work were becoming more heavy while opportunities to earn the necessary funds were becoming fewer and fewer.

View more history for Post 80 in Downers Grove, Illinois