Apache Post 27 received its temporary charter on October 6, 1958. There are 15 names on the application, none of whom are with us any longer. There are 65 names on the permanent charter, the last surviving member being Norm Crandall. The post began with a somewhat uninspiring legacy. The name 'Apache' came from a post in Apache Arizona. The original Post 27 was Jerome Post 27 which folded when miners left Jerome. Thus Apache Post 27 began, activated by a handful of men. Among them, Harry Cadwalader, Glenn Bartleme, Norm Crandall, John Hettler, Jack Weaver, Felix Dent, and Art Hassman.
The first home was the Apache Arrow Trailer Park, then owned by Jack and Hollis Weaver. Meetings were held in a long, narrow, smoke filled room. The first Commander was Harry Cadwalader. The post had only $1,783 in the bank at the time. However membership voted in the affirmative and the sale went into escrow in December 1959. A liquor license was granted in February 1960. By Sunday March 13, 1960 the Old Star Market was completely renovated and ready for the grand opening celebration. The program started with Department Commander Buford Belgard officiating. Post 41 Phoenix provided food for a dinner and several neighboring posts made donations of liquid refreshments to get things started.
Glen Bartelme's term saw another $350 placed in the Western Savings, bringing the total for the building fund to $1,300. That fund needed to be brought to $5,000. November 1961 saw Commander Bob Looker able to make a down payment on the building from funds in Western Savings.
1963 saw the first charter for the Sons of the American Legion being granted. The following year in 1964 ground breaking for the new hall took place. The new building was to be named Kelchner Hall in honor of long time finance officer Roy Kelchner. An all day celebration and dinner was held. At some point after the hall was completed a new addition was built to house the club room and the old star market was razed to provide parking.
Sometime in the late 1960's or early 1970's we acquired the T-33 aircraft from the United States Air Force. It was raised on a pedestal and dedicated to all Apache Junction veterans as a memorial.