Event Title: Military Appreciation Night (UA Hockey)
per the annual 12-month events calendar)
Event Chairperson/Co-Chairperson: Kenneth Paschal (Post 555)
Event Date: Saturday, February 9, 2019
Event Purpose: To show appreciation for military personnel through a partnership with the University of Alabama Hockey Program.
Event Location: Pelham Civic Complex and Ice Arena, 500 Amphitheater Road, Pelham, AL 35124
Post Event Support Team: See enclosed “Sign-in sheet – Volunteer list”, “Acknowledges”, and “Participants tracker”. Approximately 547 individuals attended the event. (378 paid, 91 Volunteers, 78 military Veterans (16 volunteered))
Description/Additional Information: Alabama Hockeyand American Legion Matthew Blount Post 555teamed up with the David Lindsay Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, American Village – Veterans’ Register of Honor, Pelham Youth Hockey Association, and other youth groups to honor our military through several military-themed events as part of “Military Appreciation Night” on February 9, 2019 when the University of Alabama hosted the Missouri State hockey team at the Pelham Civic Complex and Ice Arena at 7:00 p.m.
Pre-game and Opening Ceremony Events Start Around 6:45 p.m.
· Veterans, Active military personnel, and all who have honorably served received COMPLIMENTARY admission.
· Pelham Fire Department displayed a large American flag at the rink’s entrance.
· Post 555 displayed an event tent with the flags of each military branch and a “Fallen Heroes’ Table” in the rink’s main lobby.
· A variety of information tables were displayed throughout the lobby as a small token of appreciation for our military members and Veterans:
o Legion Oratorical Contest Program
o VA Compensation and Pension Benefits
o Legion Junior Shooting Sports Program
o American Village – Veterans Register of Honor
o Legion Flag Replacement Program
o Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR)
o Legion Riders
o Legion Baseball Program
o Volunteer Sign-in Table
· Eleven gift baskets were donated for giveaways for Veterans and military members. One “Soaring Eagle” chainsaw carving was donated as a fundraiser drawing.