The First Legion Post in New London was Chartered on November1, 1919 and called New London Post #345. The Names on the First Charter were: Thilmer Anderson, Delos Metcalf, Axel Bergman, Kersten Bothner, Oscar Dokkesven, Elmer Erickson, Clarence Hanson, Hans Holm, Lloyd Howe, Karl Kulset, Olaf Linnerud, Melvin Lundgren, Otto Nelson, Cecil Ogren & Peter Ogren. Joining later were: Carl ihlang, Elmer Broberg, Albert Jordeen, Otto Myhre, John Thompson, Paul J. Erickson, Oliver Larson, Martin..
on Dec. 30, 1945 Henry Johnson, Leslie Bennett, Howard Anderson, Victor Suneson & Melvin Lundgren
met at the New London Fedceral Fish Hatchery to plan the organization of A Legion Post.
on January 9, 1946 New London American Legion Post #537 was officially organized at a meeting held at the city council chamber room with 42 men signing the charter. The post was named for Sgt. Robert E. Ihlang who was killed in action in Italy durring wwII. The first officers elected August 28 after the post received it;s charter from National headquarters were: Victor Suneson,Commander; Eric Anderson, 1st Vice-Commander: Lester B. Harstad, 2nd Vice-Commander Ragnar..
On April 30, 1947 the legion members bought a 66x66 ft lot for $500 for a building site. in October the ground was excavated and the first meeting in the new basement building was held on November 19. Also this year the first public observance of Memorial Day in New London took place
On November 10, 1950 the mortgage on the original building was burned.
At A special meeting held February 24, Legioneers voted 32-3 to build a new Legion Hall.
Robert Ihlang Post #537 holds Mortgage Burning on new B uilding
in 2007 the memborship of the Legion voted to approve the building of the New London Memorial. The Memorial was completed in the spring of 2013 at a cost $78,788.56 donated by the Legion