Register  |  

Post 614  Hilliard, Ohio

MORE INFO

GET CONNECTED

ABOUT THIS POST

CHARTER DATE: July 15, 1946

POST NAMESAKE: The name of Post 614 was chosen to be Memorial Post in memory of these servicemen who sacrificed their lives that we might.. Read more »

FIRST COMMANDER: Edwin Willbarger

NOTABLE MEMBERS: FIRST OFFICERS OF MEMORIAL POST 614 Edwin Willbarger, Commander; Joseph Kidwell, Vice Commander; Paul Miller, Adjutant; Christopher O'Brien, Finance Officer.. Read more »

Jump to a decade in the timeline:

1946  1950  1960  1970  1990  

1940
The organizers contacted The American Legion Department of Ohio, to approach them about forming a new Post. They received the forms and application, and it was received by Department on this date. Full story »
The Post organizers received their temporary charter. Full story »
Ninety days after receiving their temporary charter, their permanent charter was received. The initial charter contained the names of forty nine legionnaires. Full story »
Memorial Post 614 first participated in Buckeye Boys State by sending one boy from Hilliard High School, during the summer of 1949. The post now sponsors three or more annually. Full story »
1950
Post members learned that the Burlap Factory at 77 South Franklin Street was for sale. Members investigated the purchase of the facility, which included identifying ways to increase their income for the purchase. They also sold non-interest bearing bonds to raise the down payment. A West Jefferson, OH, bank loaded the Post the balance of the money for the purchase. It was a group of very proud men that took possession of the building on Friday, April 9, 1954, but their was much work ahead of them. Full story »
1960
The Sons of the American Legion from formed in 1964. Their charter application was signed by twenty two (22) eligible members on November 30, 1964. The application was approved by the Department of Ohio, with a permanent charter date of December 10, 1964. Full story »
1970
Post 614 entered Hilliard High School as their first baseball team, when the American Legion 12th District Baseball program started in 1977. Full story »
1990
Every month, between 1995-1996, the 50th Year Anniversary Committee met to plan celebration events. The committee designed an anniversary pin for the occasion. The pin has the American Legion emblem and reads "50th Anniversary, Memorial Post 614, 1946-1996". A dinner was held on Saturday evening, August 3rd. The anniversary program was on Sunday, August 4th. Full story »
10906
12994
839134800
839134800