Register  |  

Post 110  Lake City, Minnesota

MORE INFO

ABOUT THIS POST

CHARTER DATE: February 7, 1921

POST NAMESAKE: Louis McCahill, Corporal, WW I

FIRST COMMANDER: Henry C. Breuer, 1919, 1920, 1923

NOTABLE MEMBERS: Department Commander Milton Boock, Post Commander 1948, District Commander 1949, Department Commander 1953

Upcoming Events

Jump to a decade in the timeline:

1918  1920  1930  1940  1950  1960  2010  

1910
Louis McCahill, son of James McCahill, borne in 1896 in Duluth, MN, and then lived in Lake City when he enlisted into the US Army, World War 1. He attained the rank of Corporal and was assigned to the 426th Motor Transport Corp, the 412th Motor truck Company. His date of death was November 5, 1918 and he is interned at the Suresnes American Cemetery, Suresnes, France, Plot A, Row 4, Grave 5. The Lake City Post #110 was named in his honor and his duty to our country in February 7, 1921. Full story »
In the August 1919 time frame, the Post #110 moved into their first building located on the edge of the Minnesota National Guard Training Camp Lakeview site. The original building was named the Lakeview Barracks and was located east of the railroad viaduct along the Mississippi River, off now south Oak street. Currently the DNR offices occupy the original site. The building was long and narrow snuggled between the railroad tracks and the river. The building had a full length covered veranda where one can sit and view the lake vista. At that time, all Lake City civic organizations held.. Full story »
The Louis McCahill Post #110 was certified by the The American Legion, Temporary Headquarters, 19 West 44th Street, New York, N.Y.by the National Executive Committee granted a Charter. The original members were: Walter N. Kalkbrenner, Louis O. Kemp, John A. Wright, C.R. Bouton, Walter A. Wiebusch, John C, Schmidt, Otto T. Karrow, Arnold F. Thorn, John E. Lindell, Milton Pearson, Richard O'Laughlin, Carl Dressen, Henry C. Breuer, A Louis H. Huettl, & Chas Buckminster. The location, headquarters, and principal offices of Post #110 was in the City Hall of Lake City, Minnesota. Full story »
1920
Henry Breuer was elected the first Post #110 Commander in 1919, then re-elected in 1920 & 1923; who later became the harbor master for the Lake City, MN Harbor Full story »
The Post was granted permanent status in the Department of Minnesota as Louis McCahill Post #110 on February 7, 1921. There were 15 charter members that formed the association. Original members included: Walter N. Kalkbrenner, John A. Wright, Walter A. Wiebusch, Otto T. Karrow, John E. Lindell, Richard O'Laughlin, Henry C. Breuer (1919-1920, 1923 Commander), Charles Buckminster (1926 Commander), Louis O. Kemp, C.R. Bouton, John C, Schmidt, Arnold F. Thorn, Milton Pearson (1933 Commander), Carl Dresson, & Alouis H. Huettl. Full story »
1930
Around the 1932 time frame, after the Post had to relocate to another site, 1931 Post Commander George Erickson was also the city clerk and the Post moved their HQ to city hall until the 1942 time period. The address was 205 West Center Street across from Patton Park. Full story »
1940
The Certificate of Incorporation of Louis McCahill Post No. 110, the American Legion, Department of Minnesota, an unincorporated association, in order to form a non-profit corporation. A total of 10 articles comprised of the Certificate. The certificate was submitted March 28, 1940. The elected officers at this time were: Commander-Charles H. Frisch; Adjutant-Ralph J. Adolph; Chaplain-Richard O'Laughlin; First Vice Commander-Herman Isendorf; Second Vice Commander-Walter P. Theisen; Finance Officer-Nat Peterson; and Sergeant-at-Arms-Walter Copp. Members of the executive committee serving two years were: Milton Pearson, George V. Erickson. Kenneth B. Law, L.R. Lunde and Henry C. Breuer. Full story »
Around the 1942 time frame, the Post had to find another location. The move was to the upstairs portion of the building on 113 South Washington Street, above Nat & Jim Peterson Insurance Agency. Nat Peterson was Post Commander in 1942, and brother Jim was commander in 1957. The building had a full operating bar and meeting upstairs until mid - 1960. The Peterson brothers allowed the Legion to occupy the site rent free. Full story »
1950
Milton Boock (1911-1994) graduated from St. Olaf College in 1932. Then graduated from the University of Minnesota with a M.A degree. After graduation he then worked at Glacier National Park. Served principal at Ellendale, MN for 3 years then came to Lake City as principal. Mr. Boock entered into the US Navy in in December 1943, then returned to Lake City in 1946 and stayed until June 1957. In 1961 he was principal at the Thomas A. Roberts School in the Berlin, Germany area. Mr. Boock was the Louis McCahill Post #110 Commander in 1946, served as American Legion National.. Full story »
National Board of Administration of The Veterans of World War I of the USA grants a charter to Lakeview Barracks No. 1733 on January 30, 1959 by National Commander, Fred Hollenbeck, and National Adjutant, Charles (H)audley (sp)? These World War I veterans were members of Louis McCahill Post #110. Lakeview Barracks were located on the grounds of the Minnesota National Guard Camp Lakeview training site, located south of Lake city, MN The Department of Organization and of the National Board of Administration recognized charter members: Ralph J. Adolph Emery Covell Bayley John Wm. Bernhardt Henry C. Breuer Gustav A. Boberg.. Full story »
1960
In the 1960 time frame, an opportunity arose to receive a gift of the building from the widow of Fred Rueckert, a long time early business leader in downtown Lake City. Don Ludwig, 1962 Post Commander, brokered a deal with the widow by which the building was donated to the American Legion as their current Post address located on 224 So. Washington Street. The Articles of Incorporation were amended in the October 24, 1960 meeting to receive, acquire, hold, manage and dispose of property of every kind. 1961 Commander Warren Schmauss approved the resolution with a 24-0 vote. Full story »
2010
Our Louis McCahill Post #110 longest serving Post Commander, Emery Fick, has stepped down after 17 years of American Legion service as Post #110 Commander. Not only does Commander Fick hold the most years serving, the years are also continuous from 2000-2017. Over the years he has been active at the Legion County level as well holding positions at the District One level. Full story »
14181
14607
1500264000
1500264000