Register  |  Sign in

Post 28  Beltsville, Maryland

MORE INFO

ABOUT THIS POST

CHARTER DATE: January 1, 1931

POST NAMESAKE: Kennedy Latimer Read more »

FIRST COMMANDER: W.L.A. Strawbridge

1931
Lewis Babcock and W. L. A. Strawbridge envision a need for an American Legion Post for Takoma Park. They obtain the signatures of fifteen World War One veterans and apply for a charter from the Department of Maryland. Full story »
The Post, near the meeting point of Prince Georges and Montgomery Counties, and Washington D. C., is officially organized. Department Commander George Henderson installs the officers. Full story »
The National American Legion grants a temporary charter to Takoma Park Post 28. The first meeting is held in the Takoma Park Fire Hall on Carroll Avenue. Full story »
For increased membership Post 28 receives the "Mattingly Trophy" and a National Commander's "Citation for Distinguished Service." Full story »
Mrs. Charles Hartley helps organize The American Legion Auxiliary of Post 28.There are 11 members at the first meeting held at her home. Full story »
Mrs. Charles Conrad , President of the Maryland Auxiliary, presented the unit with its Charter. Mrs. T. Walker, past District President of the Auxiliary, presented Mrs. Conrad with a gavel. During its first year, the auxiliary is active in relief work and food and clothing collections for needy families. The membership increases to 25. Full story »
Takoma Park Post 28 is designated as the "Flag Post" of the State by the Department of Maryland. Several Embassies of our World War One Allies present their Nation's flag to the Post. Full story »
Post 28 participates in the Armistice Day Ceremonies at Arlington Cemetery with amassing of Allied flags. A member of the post, bearing that Countries' flag, accompanies a representative of each Allied Nation of Word War I as they advance and place a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Full story »
1940
Morris Miller of Washington, D.C. donates to the Post the first building. The one story (15'x12') building is the foyer and powder room of our present Post. W. H. McCeney is responsible for having it transported and placed upon our property. Mr. McCeney also furnishes the material and builds a boardwalk the length of the front of the building. Full story »
Post 28 Commander Martin F. Iverson supervises the construction of a 25' tall tower attached to the southwest side of the original building. The tower is 100 square feet at the base with a windowed room, siren and navigation light on top. The tower is used as a Civil Defense plane spotter observation tower during World War II. Full story »
Martin Iverson becomes the 28th Commander of the Department of Maryland. Full story »
In exchange for $1,000, Mr. Robert E. Latimer conveys a deed of two plots of land (6.62 acres) to Post 28 with the understanding the land is to be used for American Legion activities. It is the last part of 182.74 acres the Latimer Company owned and used to mine gravel. Mr. Latimer donates the $1,000 back and is responsible for having the land graded for the Post home. Full story »
Members of Post 28 acquire World War II Army surplus ordinance from the Bainbridge Training Center on the Susquehanna River. The 3" ami-aircraft artillery piece with a welded breech remains at the entrance to the Post, Full story »
Post 28 acquires a (60'x25') surplus former Quonset hut used in World War Two. An exterior (12'x60') wood-frame office/storage room runs the length of the northwest side of the original building. The Quonset hut is transformed into a meeting room with a small kitchen in the southeast corner. The office/storage area is changed into a bar, passageway, and furnace room. Full story »
Prince Georges County Commissioners issue a permit for a club house on the premises of Latimer's Gravel Pit. The pit is located on the north side of Powdermill Road about one-quarter of a mile west of Cherry Hill Road and three miles east of Beltsville. It is zoned "Residential "A". Full story »
1950
First-Lieutenant John Latimer, U.S. Army, is one of nine people killed when an Air Force C-47 crashes near the Summit Alaska airport. Full story »
Rest rooms are added to the northeast side of the original structure. Full story »
High Point High School presents the first "American Legion Awards" from Post 28. The faculty elected two graduating seniors best representing "courage, honor, leadership, patriotism, scholarship and service." Full story »
Workers from the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission place a 10" square cement marker with a circular 3 1/2" diameter metal disk on Post 28 property. They designate this as the highest point in Prince George's County. The compass bearings are southwest of the edge of the driveway and 9' northwest of Powdermill Road. On the disk is written "Azimuth Mark U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey." National Geodetic Survey has no record of this marker. Full story »
The National Organization of The American Legion Headquarters grants a Supplemental Charter changing Takoma Park Post 28 to the John B, Latimer Post 28. Full story »
376
396
-352753200
1128142800