Register  |  

Post 183  Parkville, Maryland

MORE INFO

ABOUT THIS POST

CHARTER DATE: January 28, 1946

POST NAMESAKE: Parkville is the community where the Post resides. The ground upon which most of modern day Parkville presently stands was first surveyed in.. Read more »

FIRST COMMANDER: William Brown

NOTABLE MEMBERS: Mr Eugene Davis who saw the need for an American Legion in the community. The eight men you met for.. Read more »

WHAT MAKES OUR POST UNIQUE: Grew rapidly from the beginning in membership. Started on the Four Pillars soon after charted received. Ultimately had one of the largest Post Homes in the State. For many years the membership was 3rd largest in the world. Read more »

Jump to a decade in the timeline:

1944  1950  1960  

1940
Mr. Eugene Davis was a Parkville resident and Past Commander of Glenmar Post 148. After WW II Mr. Davis saw a need for an American Legion Post in the Parkville area. So in January 1945 the wheels started turning as he sent postcards to current and former members of the military that lived within the Parkville community. The initial meeting was held on November 28,1945 at Mr. Davis's home with eight perspective members present,namely; Hall J.Tircuit, Edward Horn, Lawrence Baier, Gus Voss, William Brown, Louis Rausch, Mr. Haeffner and Charles Abel. It was at this meeting that these men decided.. Full story »
Mr. Eugene Davis was a Parkville resident and Past Commander of Glenmar Post 148. After WW II Mr. Davis saw a need for an American Legion Post in the Parkville area. So in January 1945 the wheels started turning as he sent postcards to current and former members of the military that lived within the Parkville community. The initial meeting was held on November 28,1945 at Mr. Davis's home with eight members present,namely; Hall J.Tircuit, Edward Horn, Lawrence Baier, Gus Voss, William Brown, Louis Rausch, Mr. Haeffner and Charles Abel. It was at this meeting that these men decided to.. Full story »
Mr. Eugene Davis was a Parkville resident and Past Commander of Glenmar Post 148. After WW II Mr. Davis saw a need for an American Legion Post in the Parkville area. So in January 1945 the wheels started turning as he sent postcards to current and former members of the military that lived within the Parkville community. The initial meeting was held on November 28,1945 at Mr. Davis's home with eight members present,namely; Hall J.Tircuit, Edward Horn, Lawrence Baier, Gus Voss, William Brown, Louis Rausch, Mr. Haeffner and Charles Abel. It was at this meeting that these men decided to.. Full story »
1950
With the start of the 1950's our membership expressed interest to expand activities in the Four Pillars of the American Legion. So in February 1950 members of the Memorial Park planning committee met with 4 parties of the Parkville community to discuss a plot of ground on Taylor Ave. as a site for the memorial. This memorial was to honor those from the community who had served their country in the military. They found the group favorable to this idea but much more work needed to be done. The Post sent its first two boys to Boys State, was incorporated,.. Full story »
1960
1960 found the original Post Colors being retired and the owner of the Emerald Tavern, where Post meetings were held for many years, being awarded an Honorary membership to the Post for all the help he gave in the initial growth of our organization. Athletic teams continued to grow and win championships. In 1961 the 1st Flag disposal ceremony was held and construction of a second level to the Post Home had begun. In 1962 a new Preamble, donated by Auxiliary Unit 183, was dedicated. 1963 found Post member Charles Michael being appointed to the National Staff and Post member.. Full story »
13099
13105
-315601200
-315601200